Monday, October 8

New Year, New Goal, New Me ...

Following on from this post I did a ton of research and thinking about 2008 and how best to use the time we still have to wait before the emigration plans come to fruition. And the more I thought about all the options, and about the fact that next year brings with it the Dreaded 'Five-Oh' birthday, the more it seemed like a really good idea to throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Take some risks, change my life radically and see what happens!!

So, with the house sale continuing as planned, my son will be moving out to live with his dad for his first year out of school, and my daughter and I will be looking for a cost-effective rental for next year. And then - I'm enrolling in January for a post-graduate diploma course in Primary Health Care. Yep, going back to varsity at the age of 49.... woo hoo! Stellenbosch University offers an ITE course in PHC - its a combination of distance education and contact hours, as well as experiential learning hours.

Primary Health Care is (sort of) the equivalent of the US Nurse Practitioner - you learn to assess, diagnose, prescribe, treat and manage a wide range of acute and chronic health conditions. I've spent the last six months working in a pharmacy-based primary health care clinic and I learned that 1) I really love working with clients individually and sleuthing out what the problem really is - and so often its totally different to the thing that they ask for when they arrive. And 2) I really don't know enough to be sure that my assessment and 'diagnosis' are accurate. Oh, and 3) I love academics and assignments and projects and learning so taking a year out to focus on that will be just plain awesome, seeing as the last qualification I studied for was my diploma in psychiatric nursing, way back in '87! :-)

Also, my research shows that it may well be possible to do some follow on study from this course which will convert my original RN qualification into an MA. But we'll see about that. One of the best outcomes of this course, apart from the new skills, is that having this qualification will open all kinds of other employment doors for me once we get to the US. Many of my US friends have said that they far prefer seeing the NP to seeing the MD!

There are also a few other things on the cards for 2008: a weekend away with my best friend (also facing 50 soon) to learn how to paraglide! A major health and fitness revamp! Etc etc....

The road ahead is looking GOOD!

3 comments:

Keren said...

Ah, good for you - sounds like you're feeling enthused about it all. It's quite inspiring! *sudden desire to study* again!

Liane said...

Funny how that desire to study comes upon one, isn't it? :-) And yes, I am pretty enthused and excited about it, just hoping my brain will respond with verve and not with the vapors!!

R.J. Keller said...

Count me in as one of those who prefers an NP to an MD.

Good on you, Elle! The road ahead is looking good indeed!